Charles Maresco Pearce...
Works in stock

Charles Maresco Pearce, NEAC, LG (1874-1964) was a well known painter who worked chiefly in oils, and also in watercolour especially in his early years and again in the mid 1920s.  He is best noted for his town scenes, interiors and still lifes, and became more interested in landscape in the 1950s, a number of which were Welsh subjects.  Born in London, he was apprenticed to the architect Sir Ernest George, and later studied art under Augustus John and William Orpen at Chelsea Art School, in Paris under J E Blanche 1906, and then under Walter Sickert.  During his early career he favoured quite formal architectural subjects especially in the south of France and Italy, but by 1912 the influence of Sickert and the Camden Town painters was strong and Pearce quickly developed his own style and delightful sense of colour, perhaps owing something also to the work of the French Post-Impressionists whose pictures he collected avidly.  By the end of the Great War and throughout the 1920s Pearce was at the peak of his powers as an artist and his paintings of London café interiors such as Verrey’s and the Café Royal, and street scenes he produced in Dieppe, Paris, Menton and London are of the highest order.  A one man show of his paintings was held at the Leicester Galleries, London in December 1920.  In common with many other artists of the period he produced a number of etchings in the mid to late 1920s.  Maresco Pearce often signed his paintings and drawings ‘CMP’ (mainly pre 1920) or ‘Maresco P’ (mainly from the mid 1920s on). He was elected a member of the New English Art Club in 1912 and of The London Group in 1929. He lived in Chelsea.