Charles Cundall...
Works in stock Charles Ernest Cundall, RA, RWS, RP, RSMA, NEAC, NS (1890-1971) was a well-known painter in oil and watercolour of extensive landscapes, town scenes, marines and portraits.  He was born at Stretford in Manchester and initially designed pottery and stained glass for the influential Pilkington's Pottery Company which was also based in Manchester.  Cundall studied art at the Manchester School of Art and obtained a scholarship to the Royal College of Art in London.  He suffered serious wounds while serving with the Royal Fusiliers 1914-17.  On his return home he took up his studies at the RCA, later studying at the Slade School 1919-20 and then in Paris.  Cundall exhibited at the Royal Academy from 1918 to 1972 (posthumously in 1972) and at the New English Art Club from 1921 to 1971.  He travelled and worked in Spain, France, Italy, Sweden and Russia. Cundall was elected NEAC 1924, ARWS 1935, RP 1933, ARA 1937, RWS 1941 and RA 1944.  He was appointed an official artist to the Air Ministry 1940.  His work is represented in many public collections including the Imperial War Museum and the National Maritime Museum.  Cundall had a studio in Chelsea for many years and latterly lived at Houghton in West Sussex with his wife, Jacqueline Pietersen, also a painter.